Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Top Ten Tech Tools - #9 Epic! Books for Kids


#9 - Epic! Books for Kids



Do you ever wish your classroom library was bigger? Had more books? Had more levels?  Had more variety to reach your students interests? Well, have I got the solution for you - and the best part is - it's FREE for educators! Yes - you read that correct - absolutely FREE! Epic! books for kids is a device agnostic library of over 15,000 children's books (the library keeps growing and growing). Educators can sign up for a free account which allows them to create up to 36 individual student profiles. 



(images: www.getepic.com)

One of my favorite things about Epic! is that it asks students questions to figure out their interests, then it recommends books for students based on their interests! Talk about engagement! Even your reluctant readers will be excited to read books that interest them! 


Many of Epics! books also have a "read to me" feature. These books can be read aloud to the students through the app. They are read in a nice "human" sounding voice. This is excellent for fluency and for your non-readers. 


But wait! There's more! One of my favorite features of Epic! is the search feature. Students in my classroom LOVED to search and read books about our content when they finished their work. 


My students were incredibly motivated by the badge reward system offered by Epic!. All they wanted to do was read on Epic! so they could earn the next badge! Very motivating! 

The possibilities of using Epic! in the classroom are endless! Here's a few reasons/tips why Epic! is an AMAZING classroom tool:

(image: www.getepic.com)


For more information and to sign up for an account visit:


Happy reading! 






















2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten how cool Epic is! Great resource! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! When a tool is not good for my purposes in the library I tend to forget about it... but now I will be sharing this with my teachers. Thanks for the easy explanation of how to use it in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete