Friday, July 8, 2016

Top Ten Tech Tools - #8 PebbleGo

#8 - PebbleGo by Capstone




Informational text, nonfiction -whatever you want to call it - it's EVERYWHERE in the common core standards. PebbleGo is an awesome way to expose primary students to engaging and accessible informational (nonfiction) texts.

I am fortunate to work in a school district that has a subscription to PebbleGo by Capstone. If your school district does not have a subscription I urge you to beg and plead for one - trust me it'll be worth it!

Upon signing in to PebbleGo the students are greeted with a friendly easily navigated homepage which displays the different categories (PebbleGo currently offers 6 categories - my district is subscribed to 5 of them).



Once students select a category it is then further broken down and categorized (organization makes me so happy):


 Even further categorized:


Who doesn't love options? In PebbleGo there are plenty!


It's difficult but you must make a choice:


Once the students have selected the topic they want to learn about their screen will look like the screen above. There is an option to have the content read aloud to the students. There are several tabs of information on each topic. 

The bottom of the article includes many different options including (but not limited to): 
  • A proper citation - pencil - I can hear the librarians cheering from here! 
  • Option to print the article or picture - stack of papers
  • Graphic organizers on the selected topic - crayon
  • Videos - TV screen 
  • Audio - animal with sound waves
  • Map - globe
My students absolutely loved PebbleGo. They found it engaging and often choose to use PebbleGo in their finished time or even during indoor recess. Some of my students used PebbleGo as a reward for good behavior! 

Projects created using PebbleGo in my classroom included:
  • Informational paragraphs
  • Animal Reports
  • Culture Green Screen Videos
  • Biography Reports
  • Insect Green Screen Videos
  • Animal Digital Books 
  • Biography Digital Books
  • and more...
For more information visit:


Happy researching!



2 comments:

  1. I love Pebble Go! It is great when non readers can research a topic! I love that if I don't have the answer to a question (especially those from my own children) I can say, "Let's look it up on Pebble Go!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a librarian, this one of my favorite databases for younger students and students that need extra help. It is perfect for differentiating! There is an older student version called Pebble Go Next. It has 3 databases: American Indians, US States, and a new one being added this year for Science.

    ReplyDelete